Public School Open Enrollment
2021-22 School Year
What is it?
- Parents in Wisconsin are offered the option of having their children attend any public school in the State, provided space is available, at the grade level or program requested. It is the responsibility of the parent to provide transportation to and from this non-resident school district.
Who can apply for open enrollment at the Port Washington-Saukville School District?
- Wisconsin residents in grades Kindergarten through 12 may apply to participate in open enrollment at the Port Washington-Saukville School District.
- Wisconsin residents in grade K4 may apply only if the resident district offers a K4 program.
How and when may parents apply?
- The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction (DPI) Open Enrollment application process is available online. From Midnight February 1, 2021 through 4:00 p.m. on April 30, 2021, applicants may complete and submit applications. Late applications will not be accepted for any reason.
- Those who do not have access to a computer may request a paper application from any public school district. Paper applications must be submitted to the non-resident school district that you wish your child to attend.
Where do I submit the application?
- Apply online at: https://dpi.wi.gov/open-enrollment . If a family is not completing their application online, paper applications must be submitted to the district that they are trying to enter (not the home district). In the Port Washington-Saukville School District, forms should be submitted in person to the Office of the Superintendent. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm.
When do I find out if my child has been accepted and when will I find out which school was assigned?
- Nonresident School district notices of approval or denial and school assignment must be postmarked by June 11, 2021. Parents may appeal the denial within 30 days of the date the denial notice is postmarked or delivered to the parent, whichever occurs first.
Are there seats available?
- Each year the Board of Education meets to determine whether seats will be available and if so, which grade levels and special education programs will have openings. If there are more applicants than there are seats available, the District engages in a random selection process to determine accepted applicants.
How does the waiting list work?
- Our District creates a waiting list, when necessary. If seats become available, we contact families and invite them to register. There is no way to estimate when and if students will be called from the waiting list.
Does the Open Enrollment program allow students to apply who are in special education programs?
- Yes, however, there must be space in the grade level, as well as, space in the special education program(s) that the student needs.
Will I need to reapply each year?
- No. Parents of exisiting Port Washington Saukville School District Open Enrollment students do not need to reapply each year.
What if my child is accepted at more than one district?
- Parents have until June 25, 2021 to notify non-resident districts whether their child will open enroll in the 2021-22 school year. If the parent fails to make notification, the student may not participate in open enrollment.
What if I want to apply outside of the regular application period?
- There are certain circumstances under which a parent may apply for open enrollment outside of the regular application period. Information about applying for Open Enrollment outside of the regular application period can be found at: https://dpi.wi.gov/open-enrollment
For more information about Open Enrollment in the Port Washington-Saukville School District, please contact Heidi Belohlav, Executive Assistant to the Superintendent, at Heidi.Belohlav@pwssd.k12.wi.us or 262-268-6005.